Eating brain foods” is a popular phrase that refers to consuming foods believed to have cognitive and brain-boosting benefits. While there is no one food that can magically improve brain function. but if you incorporate a variety of nutrient-rich foods into your diet then it can help support overall brain health.
These foods are rich in the above nutrients and can help support brain function and overall cognitive health.
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fish — salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines, herring — are loaded with brain-boosting Omega-3s. You should aim to eat fish 2–3 times per week.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: Extra-virgin olive oil is rich in polyphenols and monounsaturated fat — good for both brain and heart health
- Avocados: Avocados have also been shown to support brain health, while simultaneously lowering blood pressure.
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate (85% cacao or above) has many health benefits, including improved blood flow to the brain and elevated cognitive function.
- Fruits: Certain fruits such as oranges, bell peppers, guava, kiwi, tomatoes, and strawberries, contain high amounts of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps prevent brain cells from becoming damaged and supports overall brain health. In fact, a study found that vitamin C can potentially prevent Alzheimer’s.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds contain antioxidants, as well as zinc, magnesium, copper, and iron. The brain uses zinc for nerve signaling, magnesium for learning and memory, copper for controlling nerve signals, and iron to prevent brain fog.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains such as bread, pasta, barley, brown rice, oatmeal, and bulgur wheat contain vitamin E, which is used to protect and preserve healthy cells. In protecting these cells, vitamin E preserves brain function and prevents neurodegeneration.
In summary, incorporating nutrient-rich foods into your diet is essential for overall health and well-being, including brain health. Eating a balanced diet that includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats can help support brain function and cognitive health.